Sunday, March 21, 2010

My sweet, sweet potato--part 2

One of our loyal followers asked if I would post the recipe Bill mentioned in his Sweet Potato post (OK, she's my sister-but I'd like to think that even if she wasn't, she'd still read my blog!)  Ask, and ye shall receive!  I love this recipe for a few reasons--first, it's delicious!  Second, it's easy--dump all the ingredients in your slow cooker, turn it on, and when you come home from work dinner's ready & waiting for you--what could be better?  Finally, it's very forgiving.  Don't have one of the ingredients?  Don't like one of the ingredients?  Swap it out for something else.  It'll still be good, I promise.

What you'll need

1 TBS olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup sliced carrots
1 TBS curry powder
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
3 cups cooked chick peas
1 1/2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potato
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup green beans
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomato (undrained)
1 can (14.5 oz) vegetable broth
3 cups baby spinach
1 cup light coconut milk
6 lemon wedges
cous cous

What to do

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and carrot, cover and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Add curry powder, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and chile.  Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Place onion mixture in a 5 qt. slow cooker, and add the next 8 ingredient (through the broth).  Cover & cook on high for 6 hours (or until the veggies are tender).  Add the spinach & coconut milk and stir until the spinich wilts.  Serve over cous cous with lemon wedges.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think.  And if you've got a favorite recipe that you'd like to share with us, we'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

  1. Since I saw your post at 1:30pm, I did a stovetop-simmer version. :) I left out both kinds of peppers in deference to the tender palates in the house, and threw in zucchini because I had some. Then I served it over a box of Trader Joe's Israeli Couscous. Delicious!

    Oh, and I since I wasn't sure how much liquid it would need, I took a tip from my Indian cookbooks and thickened everything up at the end with about 1/2 cup of ground cashews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! Will have to try your cashew trick next time I make it.....mmmmmm-cashews make EVERYTHING taste better!

    ReplyDelete